It was K’s birthday recently, and this year I wanted to do something a bit different for a present. I’ve been getting more familiar with Houdini lately, and thought it would be a good exercise to use it to design a ring, to be rapid prototyped and cast in sterling silver. I was aiming for something geometric with a hint of art deco (which she likes), and I also involved random elements in the production, so the end product would be something quite unique.
Houdini was great for this, I tried to keep it as procedural as possible, giving lots of room for experimentation. The final model was brought into Blender for some more detailing, and export to STL. The printers (rapidprototype.com.au) did a great job, the cast ended up looking great with very well resolved detail in what is a very small piece. I made a little video below showing some of the sop network in Houdini.